Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 11:56:53AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:

> For example: kdebase is copyrighted under the GPL. But to compile it,
> you need to link it against Qt. If anyone distributes kdebase binaries,
> they're *required* by the kde license to distibute the full source under
> terms that permit the source to be modified and redistributed.

> But since those binaries are linked against Qt, they're *forbidden* from
> doing so.

> Frankly, we might be violating the law by placing kdebase binaries on
> our ftp site.

    Then do the right thing and ask Trolltech if they object and ask for an
aswer on the record.  I'm willing to lay good money down that they do not.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my