Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 10:36:57PM -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> With the new Open Source movement I think it is time to reexamine your
> true mission.  If you want to create a pure GNU system than continue
> what you are doing.  However if you want to have an active role in the
> Open Source movement--that Linus supports--than I see the debain
> philosophy as a major roadblock if kept unchanged.  Chances are more
> major linux programs will use free (but not free to debian standards) to
> accularate development.

Whahahaha!

The "Open Source" Movement is using a definition of Open Source.

www.opensource.org/osd.html

extract:
   Bruce Perens wrote the first draft of this document as `the Debian Free
   Software Guidelines', and refined it using the comments of the Debian
   developers in a month-long e-mail conference in June, 1997.
   He removed the Debian-specific references from the
   document to create the `Open Source Definition'.

Please compare the text of the Open Source Definition
with the Debian Free Software Guide Lines.

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

You will see that they are almost identical. Indeed, the text of the Open
Source Definition is BASED ON the Debian Free Software Guidelines. The
Mozilla copyright (netscape public license NPL) was written and modified to
CONFORM to the Debian Free Software Guidlines.

Debian philosophy is not a major roadblock but a
"standard setting" mile stone.

Please try to inform yourself about the facts. Indeed you are making
yourself look like a fool a bit.

Marcus