Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

robert havoc pennington wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> >
> > So which one does Debian which to support FSF or Open Source?  I really
> > hope it is Open Source...
>
> Are you aware that the Open Source Definition found on www.opensource.org
> is based on (almost exactly identical to) the Debian Free Software
> Guidelines? Open Source is a synonym for free software; there is not
> really an organized movement separate from the FSF definition of free.
> The FSF also endorses the Debian Free Software Guidelines, I believe. They
> do not define free with the GPL, which is only one example of a free
> license in their view.

Yes I am very aware that the Open Source Definition is identical to the
Debian Free Software Guidelines.

> I think the contrast you're describing between free software and open
> source does not exist. Open source is just a marketing name for free
> software. Thus Debian is both, not one or the other.

I think the contrast does defiantly exists.  If it does not then why
would Web Review say

  However, not everybody is on board. There will be
  factions that prefer "free software," and supposedly
  Richard Stallman of the Free Software Foundation is
  not too happy about this. There are people who work in
  free software for ethical reasons, and the significance
  of free software goes way beyond any commercial
  benefit.

Source (http://webreview.com/wr/pub/freeware/whatsnew.html)

> There have been a number of people trying to get people paranoid about the
> FSF and supposed "radicals," contrasting that with open source; but it's a
> straw man. Free software and open source software are the same, and have
> been from the start.

Yes, but the exact goals are diffrent and I think Debain's goal--even
though the Open Source Movement used Debians defination for the Open
Source Definition--is more toward the FSP.