Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

--On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 3:23 pm +0000 "Rev. Joseph Carter"
<knghtbrd@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 at 10:29:43AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>> Brandon Mitchell has come up with a better scheme than my "numbering"
>> alternative. Consider the following:
>>
>> 2.0.8pre1	2.0.8-0pre1
>> 2.0.8pre2	2.0.8-0pre2
>> 2.0.8           2.0.8-1
>>
>> This has several advantages over my previous scheme. It preserves the
>> upstream version information in "human readable form". It takes advantage
>> of the fact that dpkg will create a source upload for -0 and -1
sequences.
>> It naturally maintains the dpkg sequence ordering of the version numbers.
>> It doesn't need to use epochs.
>
> It has one disadvantage I can see.  The -0pre looks like it's something
it's
> not, but I believe people will figure it out, especially if the desc
> contained real version info.

Someone suggested this earlier in the discussion, and someone else pointed
out that this is clearly against policy, since anything after the '-' should
reflect debian-specific packaging changes, not upstream changes.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |