Re: Hamm Bug Stamp-Out List for June 25, 1998

On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 at 11:30:45AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Welcome to the nem Hamm Bugs Stamp-Out List.
> >
> >   21884  libc6-dev: relative links between top-level dirs
> >
> I'm not sure what to do abou this one.
>
> The upstream maintainer (Ulrich D.) insists that the relative links are
> correct and that making /usr a symlink to something else is "evil".

You should ask him why he uses an absolute path to /lib/libc.so.6 in
the /usr/lib/libc.so linker script then.

> Rebuilding the links is at the edge of my shell script skills, and
> certainly outside any time frame I have available at the moment.
>
> I feel the need for some discussion on the technical consequences of
> changing these links, as well as the consequences of not changing them.

Here is little bash snippet to be added very late in the 'debian/rules
binary' stage that does the job.  It is a liitle specific to the glibc
2.0.7 release, but that shouldn't be a big problem at this time.

v=2.0.7
pv=0.7
cd debian/tmp/usr/lib
for f in *.so ; do
    if [ $f != libc.so -a $f != libndbm.so ]; then
        rm $f
        if [ $f != libpthread.so ]; then
            ln -s /lib/$(basename $f .so)-$v.so $f
        else
            ln -s /lib/$(basename $f .so)-$pv.so $f
        fi
    fi
done

Dale you should note that this also makes another important change
that should have been noticed by me a long time ago.  It changes the
symlink to point to the actual shared library file instead of the
soname symlink.  For example, this would make /usr/lib/libm.so point
to /lib/libm-2.0.7.so instead of /lib/libm.so.6.  This change makes it
harder for a user to screw up his compilation environment by simply
installing a newer shared library file and running ldconfig manually.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road