Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

Hi,
>>"Jules" == Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

 Jules> Someone suggested this earlier in the discussion, and someone
 Jules> else pointed out that this is clearly against policy, since
 Jules> anything after the '-' should reflect debian-specific
 Jules> packaging changes, not upstream changes.

	Technically, this is correct, unless we take the stance that
 pre-releases are not really upstream releases (I find that quite
 reasonable -- isn't that implied by the very definition?); so these
 versions are released as a kinda debian-revision-to-detect-bugs, and
 take a -0* debian version.

	The options are:
 a) Use epochs, which can then never be done away with
 b) Play games with suffixes on the upstream version, and rely
    on both dpkg and people recognizing that the pre release
    suffix are older than the release suffix,
 c) pretend pre-releases are a -0 debian revision, and are not
    really upstream releases (I still contend they are not real
    upstream releases)

	manoj
 its all a matter of interpretation ;-)
--
 "It might help if we ran the MBA's out of Washington." Admiral Grace
 Hopper