Re: Problems with javalex

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 12:03:34AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
>> I'd like to receive some help.  The program gets called with the
>> following command
>>
>>   /usr/bin/java JavaLex.Main $*
>>
>> The main problem is that there is no JavaLex.Main file.  It is not
>> included in the .tar.gz nor in the .diff.gz file and it isn't
>> generated when the program gets compiled.
>
>The class name is "Main", which would be in Main.class, part of
>package JavaLex. /usr/bin/javalex adds /usr/lib/javalex to the
>classpath, and /usr/lib/javalex has Main.class, which should work.
>
>Still, I can't get it to work.

Main.class should be installed as /usr/lib/javalex/JavaLex/Main.class
because, for each CLASSPATH component, the JVM looks in
  CLASSPATHCOMPONENT/PACKAGENAME/CLASSNAME.class

and in this case,
  CLASSPATHCOMPONENT = /usr/lib/javalex
  PACKAGENAME = JavaLex
  CLASSNAME = Main

>I think removing it would be best.

To project/orphaned?  Probably best.  It also includes a non-free
bug-fixed version of Sun's BitSet class (search for "NON-COMMERCIAL"
in Main.java), so it shouldn't be in the main distribution anyhow.
I'll file a bug to that effect, if there isn't one already.

BTW, I'm working on a Java->C compiler.  If I ever get it done, it might
produce a better/more reliable result when compiling tools like this...
which then also wouldn't reply on a JVM.  I might wind up using JLex and
CUP in my compiler anyway; in that case, I could take over maintanence
of the javalex package.

(Due to Sun's lawyers, JavaLex is now called JLex instead.
See <URL:http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~appel/modern/java/JLex/>)

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>