Re: FIX FOR HAMM: timezone problem

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

: On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, John Goerzen wrote:
:
: >
: > Hi,
: >
: > I noticed with surprise tonight that my clock was an hour off.
: >
: > Investigating the matter revealed that /etc/timezone said
: > US/Central.  running /usr/sbin/tzconfig and setting it to
: > SystemV/CST6CDT fixed the problem.
: >
: > However, the install program, and tzconfig, both have a problem.  They
: > do not explain the difference, why one might work and the other
: > might not, etc.  Also, why does US/Central not work?
: >
: > The boot disks should not offer confusing options.  They should offer
: > the working one (CST6CDT for me) and no non-working ones.  The same
: > goes for tzconfig.  Otherwise, anybody using xntp or something similar
: > will always get incorrect times.
: >
: I'm sorry to disapoint you, but US/Central is a perfectly valid timezone.
: It is only intended for those parts of the central US where Daylight
: Savings Time is not practiced. You will notice that there are equivalet
: settings for the other timezones as well.

Huh?  I live in the Central timezone, and I can assure you that we
practice Daylight Savings Time.

kepler:~ $ cat /etc/timezone
US/Central
kepler:~ $ date
Tue Jun 16 09:12:45 CDT 1998

All of our servers are set to "US/Central" - except the BSDi box :)  We
currently have 8 Debian boxes here.  All run either xntp, or ntpdate
periodically.  One of the Debian boxes is a tier 3 NTP server - a Bay
router helps out in that capacity as well.

I believe the non-DST zones are specifically spelled out, like
"US/Arizona".  I believe "US/Indiana-Starke" and "US/East-Indiana" serve
a similar purpose but I don't live there, so I really can't say.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104