Re: Stop vi discussion

> Well, that's IMHO an idea worth worth studying.  When I first
> installed Linux, I was coming from DOS and Borland's editors, which
> joe mimics quite closely.

i know lots of people who came from DOS. know they use vi or emacs,
but they started useing linux with joe. they still know enought to use it
in the worst case, and it will be far easier than if they don't know vi or
emacs.

> As a newbie, learning vi or emacs was not a short-term goal - I had to
> do some effective work rather than learning some new editor.  Later I
> learned emacs, but when starting I found joe to be a great compromise.

that's my reasoning : people learn vi or emacs later, when they are familiar
with unix/linux, but they start with something simple like joe.

i don't know jed, maybe it's better. but something like joe should be the
default editor.

every day i work with vim - and the current vi on the bootisk is a pain.
joe woule be a great improvement, even if it has different keystrokes.

andreas