Re: VI reasons (was Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.)

On Sun, Jun 14, 1998 at 10:27:52AM -0400, Z-Y [Jerry] wrote:
> greet all,
>
> I am no guru. But let's stop this war!

yes...wars are unproductive..and in the case of this type of war
doesn't even have the benefit of getting rid of some people off the planet.

> To me, choice of editor depends on
> your experience, skill and task on hand. I use vi and my boss at work uses
> emacs. We both like our own choice very much and enjoy the way our choice
> works for us. But we never try to "convert" each other, fortunately.

I agree tottally. Personally..my favoprite editor right now is ee. I use it
all the time. It is not that I am "Unwilling to learn", in fact
I love to learn, its just I feel that using an editor isn't something
that I should need to "learn".

Some people like emacs (I used to love it...don't use it as much now), some
like ae, some like ee, some like vi (I usually call those people masochists...
but only in fun ;) )

as for the base...I agree with the point of using ae or ee or some such
"simple" editor. Make it easy for people comming from windows to get started
if they wish to learn vi later..so be it, but not everyone can just
"Pick up" vi and run with it like some of the other editors.

> For the experience of being converted to something else,
> if you are a buddist, try being converted by a Christian or vice versa.
> If you don't believe in any form of god, you are free to choose one or
> create your own:-)

hmm nice point. Tried Chrstian, didn't fit me..now im in that 3rd group...
did try creating my own...didn't work out. I only have 2 "followers" now..
and they aren't very good ones. Actually...maybe wiseass is a better term than
"Follower" or "Worshipper"

> have  a peaceful sunday.

too late for that...oh well...