Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

Rev. Joseph Carter writes:
> On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 04:12:01PM +0200, Meskes, Michael wrote:
> > Sorry, now I don't understand. I think we should release twice a year.
>
> I really think this does not really fix the problem we're having now with
> hamm though.  Trying to test and fix problems in EVERYTHING is a big task
> considering how big EVERYTHING is..
>
> It's MUCH better IMO to have PACKAGES be stable and unstable.  After a
> period of time (at least partially on the urgency of the package--not the
> priority) if there are no outstanding grave/critical bugs, the package can
> be moved into stable dist..
>
> Every 3-6 months (more or less time if there is a real need) freeze stable
> for an official CD image to be made.  This would allow what's done to be out
> and used by everybody, what's not done to get either noticed as not done and
> fixed, or left out of stable till someone decides that it's important enough
> that the bug doesn't matter (in which case the bug might just end up
> downgraded)

I like this idea. Just to see if I understood you correctly, we could make a
stable CD when we want to? In fact we would still keep the version
numbering, but there is always an up-to-date stable release.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager    | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes@topsystem.de                    | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20