Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 10:18:21AM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > > Sorry, now I don't understand. I think we should release twice a year.
> >
> > I really think this does not really fix the problem we're having now with
> > hamm though.  Trying to test and fix problems in EVERYTHING is a big task
> > considering how big EVERYTHING is..
> >
> > It's MUCH better IMO to have PACKAGES be stable and unstable.  After a
> > period of time (at least partially on the urgency of the package--not the
> > priority) if there are no outstanding grave/critical bugs, the package can
> > be moved into stable dist..
> >
> > Every 3-6 months (more or less time if there is a real need) freeze stable
> > for an official CD image to be made.  This would allow what's done to be out
> > and used by everybody, what's not done to get either noticed as not done and
> > fixed, or left out of stable till someone decides that it's important enough
> > that the bug doesn't matter (in which case the bug might just end up
> > downgraded)
>
> I like this idea. Just to see if I understood you correctly, we could make a
> stable CD when we want to? In fact we would still keep the version
> numbering, but there is always an up-to-date stable release.

It would seem to me to be the case that version number would only add
complexity (determining what the version number would be for the next
release)  It would seem that a date release would be a better animal to deal
with.

Someone could burn stable CDs as often as they felt like and they would get
something that is more stable than say redhat is, but would likely be much
more up to date than say 1.3.1r8 is.

Now and then freezing of the stable dist to be SURE that everything works
okay and that nothing is added that may break things (which shouldn't happen
anyway, since that's supposed to be fixed while packages are in unstable,
but I think we should be prepared for an occasional problem to slip by as it
does even now)  In a few weeks after the freeze, ship it.  Mainly this time
period is designed to give time for official images to be made and bugs
worked out of that process if need be.

bugs.debian.org would become much more significant under this model I think.