Re: New APT version

Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> writes:

> On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 10:29:12AM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>
> Consider that:
>
> - most (?) users have only one Linux partition anyway.

Nope. Any documentation I've seen so far has recommended
multipartition installations.

> - for those with multiple partitions, /usr, /var, /usr/local, /home, /tmp
>   are the most likely directories to be split off of root.

We could assume that everything down three directory structures will
be on one device. The size of /usr/X11R6/lib should be known, but not
further down the tree.

> - Debian packages don't contain anything from /usr/local, /home, or /tmp.

and /opt.

> - Almost all (95%) of contained data is in /usr somewhere.

What about /usr/share (one device for the pool) /usr/bin (one device
for each arch)? We have to give more infos about usr.

> So why do so much extra work?  Simply check that /usr has at least as much
> free space as the uncompressed size of all packages, that /etc and /var have
> some small percentage of that, and that /var has enough space to hold the
> compressed packages as they are downloaded.
>
> That should deal with almost all situations.  If we want, we can then catch
> obscure cases after downloading but before installing, by using Manoj's
> 'du' file included in the DEBIAN directory of each package.

To handle size checking before downloading, we could make a du file
for all Packages. That would be downloaded together with the Packages
file, if size checking is wanted. The du file could be incomplete for
Packages, meaning that sizes of subdirs can be left out as long as the
parent dir is given. Also the du must be at least to a level of n
directories. Where n is constant for all packages. Certain Packages
can give more details than n levels, but the are not forced to.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn