Re: New APT version

On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 12:20:51AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	Well, I think that putting the information into the Packages
>  file is a bad idea -- especially for large packages. We need a line
>  per directory and there is no reason to inflate the packages files
>  for packages we ain't even updating.

I agree with you here, but I must point out that this information is most
useful is it's available before downloading the actual .deb files. If the
information is located in the Packages file, GUI apt could display partition
usage information while selecting pacakges. If the information is available
after downloading the deb, the only thing command line apt can do is issue a
warning telling the user that the files won't fit, but the file is already
downloaded (BIG problem for Emacs, IRAF, tetex, kernel-sources)...

Question: what does apt do with the files it downloads? I mean, what happens
now if someone tells apt to install IRAF (worst case scenerio right now) and
there's not enough space left? Does apt erase the downloaded deb?

Also, I ran into a funny situation the other day... I was updating a machine
using apt, and there were only 27 MB left on /var, but it wanted to download
like 48 MB. It said there was not enough free space and quit. So far, it
looks ok, but the problem is all the URL's were file:/something... it
doesn't have to *download* things. It just has to install them, doesn't it?
I didn't look further into this problem, but later I upgraded apt to 0.13,
and it worked fine.

				Marcelo