Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 08:14:56PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > Yes, it does matter. I can no longer recommend Debian to my friends
> > and coworkers, because I don't want to have to tell them the hoops
> > they have to jump through to get a reasonably current system
> > installed. I also don't want to have to explain why virtually all of
> > the pre-compiled or third-party software they will run across will be
> > in a foreign packaging format, and that even if it can be converted to
> > a native format, it still may not work for them.
>
> Is it as simple as cutting more releases?

To many, yes.

> Let's say that every three months we split off an unstable version and
> froze then released what we had at that point. Do you see any problems
> with this?

No, but I think I might have an idea..  Instead of trying to make everything
stable all at once, put what's stable in the stable tree as it gets that
way.  Every couple of months (or perhaps every couple of SERIOUSLY IMPORTANT
upgrades like to fix major exploits and the like) the CD makers can send out
new snapshots of stable..

This would make version numbering kinda useless (which for a dist I always
thought it was anyway), get newer software out as it's ready to be out
rather than as EVERYTHING is ready to be out, etc..