Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> The bigger question is: does it matter?  most of us have a stable hamm
> system and have had them for a long time.  does owning a "official" cd
> make any difference.  I use the CD once -- when I install.  Then it
> collects dust.  <snip>
> <snip>        If CD's are important they will happen.  But rather than
> releasing shoddy work, we make a well honed product.  I can wait for a
> WORKING cd.  I had to deal with RH at work and know the difference in
> quality we make.

I am located in the Philippines.  I get download speeds in the hundreds
of bytes per second when my ISP is up, and my ISP has frequent outages.
I can download the occasional package, but downloading more than a few
megabytes is painful (at 300 bytes per second, I get roughly a megabyte
per hour).  Those of us without high speed internet access _need_ CDs.
As a practical matter, the latest debian system release available to me
is whatever I can get on mail-order CD.