Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

David Engel writes:
> Yes, it does matter.  I can no longer recommend Debian to my friends
> and coworkers, because I don't want to have to tell them the hoops
> they have to jump through to get a reasonably current system
> installed.  I also don't want to have to explain why virtually all of
> the pre-compiled or third-party software they will run across will be
> in a foreign packaging format, and that even if it can be converted to
> a native format, it still may not work for them.

Boy, I know this. I've seen way too many test Debian and switch back because
of these problems.

> No argument here.  Quality-wise Debian is head and shoulders above
> every other LInux distribution I've seen.  Unfortunately, only the
> Debian developers and small percentage of Linux users ever get to see
> the quality because it never gets released.

And now we're back into the marketing debate we had a short time ago.

> How long have you been working on Debian?  I've been working on it
> since the 0.92 days.  That must be at least 4 years.  For way too
> long, I maintained all of the core development packages, libc4/5/6,
> gcc, binutils, etc.  I laid the groundwork for both of the major libc
> transitions (4 to 5 and 5 to 6), and spent countless hours porting and
> rebuilding other developer's packages to help speed things along.
> Both times, it took a year or more before that work was released.

I entered the project late in 1994 and that was after 0.93. Back when I was
working at the university (and thus had more time) I did port many to libc5
too. I do understand what you mean even if I spend less time on the topic. I
hate the idea of spending so much time for a project that's killing itself.

> Perhaps you understand now why I'm so frustrated.

Oh yes, I do.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager    | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes@topsystem.de                    | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20