Re: Official Debian 2.0 CD master images

Rev. Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> wrote:
> One might argue that being in experimental, it's kinda already in the dist,
> just at a lower priority than Extra.  Actually, apt is also part of the
> experimental area and several people have suggested apt be used in place of
> autoup.sh.  I think probably apt can handle it but I'll let people who use
> it for more than simply upgrading packages every few days be the judge of
> that.

Yes, this is mainly a matter of classification, as we're dealing
with packages we have a track record with.  And, in the case of gettext,
one which is essential for building other packages which are already
in main.  It would have been very discomforting to have released hamm
without gettext.

And, yes, I think we should include apt... if we don't mind the
redundancy of putting packages which are depended on on multiple
cd-roms.  [This was the whole point of the "unordered install"
logic of dpkg -iGROBE ... it allowed you to perform installation
within media limitations.]

[Apt needs a lot more work, but I think it's adequate to a properly
crafted hamm cdrom installation.  And it's the best thing we've got
for organizing the libc5->libc6 migration.]

--
Raul