Re: Official Debian 2.0 CD master images

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 07:37:00AM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

> Right now main+contrib (which *could* be on a CD) won't fit. It overflows by
> aproximatedly 40 MB. Taking contrib off the first CD cuts ~100 MB... leaving
> enough room for as many documents as you want. Yesterday while I was on my
> way home, it occured to me that putting the mailing lists archive could be
> helpful (or kernel sources, or the web site...) project/ is a no-no (think
> gettext). indices/ and doc/ is a must.

Actually, I asked the upstream author of gettext (Ulrich Drepper) as to
whether we could put gettext in main, and he said he doesn't have a problem
with it because he is not the one who make such decision for Debian.

Seeing that quite a few Debian packages already use gettext for compilation,
it would be nice that we put gettext in main.

> >  - with 3 cdroms the third image will be nearly empty.
>
> "nearly" means? Moving source/x11 there is about 100 MB used. That leaves
> 550 MB to stuff with things! Documentation would be nice... (the faq-o-matic
> for example) As far as I remember, verdors could label the thing "Debian 2.0
> Official CD Set" (or something like that) iff they distributed
> binary+source, that means all the CD's get distributed and there's no chance
> of "optional" documentation not getting distributed because it's on the
> formerly-just-source cd.

Also, the GIMP User Manual 1.0 is out!!  It would be really great if we
could include one or more of the .ps.bz2, .pdf, or .html files (plus
COPYRIGHT etc.) on the Debian CD.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling        Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca     University of Alberta, Canada