Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Localized for canada and the USA? What do zou mean with that?
> Timezones? What about multilanguage support? Best to plan it in now.

I'm only going to spend effort on making sure that it works ok for
English/French (at least for the initial distribution).  So there will
be some multilanguage support.  Localization might include further
things, like tax programs, accounting programs, interfaces to local
banks, etc. (depending upon what comes available)

For the most part I'm just relying on the localization already built
into Debian.

> > I'd like to see more people announce that they want to develop their
> > own "subset" Linux distributions based on Debian.  I'd be willing to
> > collaborate on tools to make this easier.
>
> I would like to see a "Source only" Distribution, which compiles
> everything before installing.

I'll include source - but I'm not going to be requiring people to compile
it themselves.  I'm going to be testing this thing on my old 386 - so I
definitely don't want to be doing that.

If somebody wants to develop that capability into Debian - I may use
it.  But I don't see enough value in it right away to spend any effort
on it myself.  I've got some radical ideas for the
configure/compile/install process that would be very interesting to do
- but it may be 3-4 years before I come to a point where I would want
to implement them (and somebody else will probably do them first).

Cheers,

 - Jim