Re: [grave] libstdc++2.8 needs versioned dependencies

In message <[🔎] 19980512185214.58457@wi.leidenuniv.nl> you wrote:
>On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 12:39:48PM -0400, Adam P. Harris wrote:
>> Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:
>> > I think we should backout egcs and libstdc++2.8 from hamm and go back to
>> > the old g++.  For one, altg++ doesn't even work with it.
>>
>> Just to throw more fuel on this rather old fire, when I compile jade with
>> egcs's g++, the program tends to dump core rather regularly.  By backing
>> out to g++272 vintage, the problem went away.
>
>We now have:
>- GNU gcc 2.7.2.3
>- egcs gcc (1.0.3-prerelease)
>- egcs gobjc (1.0.3-prerelease)
>- egcs g++ (1.0.3-prerelease)
>- GNU g++272 [*]
>- libg++272 (for GNU g++)
>- libstdc++28 (for egcs g++) (1.0.3-prerelease)
>- libg++28 (for egcs g++) (works with 1.0.3-prerelease)
>
>And RSN we'll have
>- egcs-docs (containg the info files for egcs gcc)
>- the iostream docs in libstdc++2.8-dev
>
>[*] Currently in slink, as nobody has bothered to provide feedback about it.
>    If someone provides me with positive feedback that having this package
>    in frozen would really be needed to compile a package for frozen,
>    I'd be more than willing to request it be moved there.

Well, if you look at /usr/doc/jade/buildinfo.Debian, you shall see that
I am well aware of this package and it's what I used to build jade
after backing off from egcs:

libc6-2.0.7pre1-4
gcc-2.7.2.3-4
g++272-2.7.2.3-4.2  (from slink mind you)
libg++272-2.7.2.8-0.1
libg++272-dev-2.7.2.8-0.1
sgml-base-1.01
sgml-data-0.11
make-3.76.1-8
dpkg-dev-1.4.0.22

By the way, g++272 is very excellent and nice and it was bascially smooth
as silk to install it and use it.  Works great!

>What more do you want?

Ray, I am simply transmitting my experiences!  Please don't jump down
my throat.

What I would like to know, actually, is whether I should be notifying
the jade upstream maintainer (James Clark) that his C++ is not up to
snuff, and here's why, or alternatively, submit a bug against egcs.
I think someone would have to look through the jade source to really
determine that however.