Re: The latest XFree86 (3.3.2-4)

On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 12:45:40PM +0200, Brederlow wrote:
> I compiled and installed the XFree 3.3.2-4 and found some stones in my
> path:
>
> 1. The Xresource was changed, so that Xterms have a black background.
>    Why didn't I get asked befor replacing the file? I get asked for
>    all other config files, just XFree doesn't ask.

I'm not sure why you weren't prompted for the overwrite --
/etc/X11/Xresources is marked as a conffile.  There is probably something I
don't understand about dpkg.

On the other hand, due to (un-)popular demand, I have backed out the change
of xterm's colors in 3.3.2.1-1, which is now in Incoming.

> 2. XFree needs misc/joystik to compile and thus should recommend,
>    suggest, depend on misc/joystik, because without it the joystik
>    wont work.

In XFree86 3.3.2.1-1, xext suggests the joystick package.  Once kernel 2.2
is out, this won't be necessary as a joystick driver will (probably) be
shipping with the kernel sources.

> 3. XFree does a make -k, so it compiled for 18 hours instead of
>    stopping with an error after several minutes. It makes it hard to
>    find errors.

This is something about make I didn't know.  I'll look into this.  Thanks
very much for pointing this out, it may save me many hours.

> 4. XFree Server XXX should sugget/recommend the XF86Setup (its in
>    XF86vga I think) programm.

XF86Setup is in xserver-vga16, because XF86Setup specifically wants the
VGA16 X server.  In slink, there will be an xserver-common package, and
XF86Setup will be there.

> 5. A XF86Config for m68k (Framebuffer Device) isn't provided any
>    longer. Its been in previous bin packages (might not have been in
>    the source, but from the person building it).

Please contact James Troup <troup@debian.org> about this, especially if you
can provide him with such a sample XF86Config for m68k.  I'd love to
include one.

> May the Source be with you.

Thanks for your help.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |   "I came, I saw, she conquered."  The
Purdue University                   |   original Latin seems to have been