Re: Debian Source distributions (was Re: Intent to package pine-src)

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> I see only one problem with source dependencies: How do you tell the
> difference between a dependency on a source package and the depencency on
> a binary package. I know that most problems are with the need for some
> binary program to allow the build to proceed, but sometimes these needs
> are for a source file to be present (and in the desired location).

Easily, binary packages are .deb filoes, source packages are .dsc
files. The ending and its format should be enough to differ between
the two.

> In addition it would be nice if we could come to terms with upstream
> source in multiple tarballs (libc6 comes like that as do many others).

Together with that the signing scheme should be changed. Uncompressed
tarballs should be signed instead of gziped once. This would allow for
non gzip upstream sources, diffs and packages.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn