Re: The latest XFree86 (3.3.2-4)

Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 12:45:40PM +0200, Brederlow wrote:
> > I compiled and installed the XFree 3.3.2-4 and found some stones in my
> > path:
> >
> > 1. The Xresource was changed, so that Xterms have a black background.
> >    Why didn't I get asked befor replacing the file? I get asked for
> >    all other config files, just XFree doesn't ask.
>
> I'm not sure why you weren't prompted for the overwrite --
> /etc/X11/Xresources is marked as a conffile.  There is probably something I
> don't understand about dpkg.

Thats what I don´t understand with other packages. Strictly speaking
it was right to just overwrite the file, but most other prohgramms
fail to do so with their configfiles. I´m frequently asked before
replacment, even though I havent touched the files. The intresting
thing is how XFree makes it work the right way.

> On the other hand, due to (un-)popular demand, I have backed out the change
> of xterm's colors in 3.3.2.1-1, which is now in Incoming.

Oh, so now it should ask me, cause I have changed that filoe. :)

> > 2. XFree needs misc/joystik to compile and thus should recommend,
> >    suggest, depend on misc/joystik, because without it the joystik
> >    wont work.
>
> In XFree86 3.3.2.1-1, xext suggests the joystick package.  Once kernel 2.2

OK, then its fine.

> is out, this won't be necessary as a joystick driver will (probably) be
> shipping with the kernel sources.

What about m68k (and presumably other archs) that don´t have a joystik
support? Should configure test for it and undef it? Can one undef it?
Actually there´s a joystik driver for Atari, but its not used.

> > 4. XFree Server XXX should sugget/recommend the XF86Setup (its in
> >    XF86vga I think) programm.
>
> XF86Setup is in xserver-vga16, because XF86Setup specifically wants the
> VGA16 X server.  In slink, there will be an xserver-common package, and
> XF86Setup will be there.

Great, it took me some time
(zgrep XF86Setup /mnt/debian-nfs/.../Contents-i386.gz) to find the
Program and installing the vga16 server just for configuration is a
bit anoying.

By the way, will non vga16 xserver do vga16 when unconfigured, so
that one can run XF86Setup?

> > 5. A XF86Config for m68k (Framebuffer Device) isn't provided any
> >    longer. Its been in previous bin packages (might not have been in
> >    the source, but from the person building it).
>
> Please contact James Troup <troup@debian.org> about this, especially if you
> can provide him with such a sample XF86Config for m68k.  I'd love to
> include one.

I will send you a sample configfile.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn