Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 11:27:29AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > smail is NASTY to configure over dialup links.  And getting worse it seems.
> > I couldn't do it.  sendmail is clearly not suited for the task.
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> why?
>
> sendmail configuration is a no-brainer with debian's sendmailconfig
> script.

I didn't understand it and I'm not quite clueless.  Once johnnie explained
what was meant by all but the most basic questions....  well, THEN it didn't
work because my system was dialup.  Before I knew it, he was telling me to
edit sendmail.mc by hand and add a Cj line.  ...and a procmail line...
..and a couple others...

The script didn't deal with the fact that I didn't have a static IP/name.

> it can handle probably 99% of cases likely to be needed by most
> users...all the user has to do is answer a few questions (which have
> sensible defaults).
>
> configuring sendmail only becomes difficult when you need to do weird or
> complicated things.

procmail is a weird and complicated thing?
dynamic IPs are a weird and complicated thing?

If you have to edit these files by hand, the script doesn't deal with all
cases.