Re: Intent to package pine-src

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > What we are talking about here is "repackaging" the source tree into a
> > .deb file. Very undesirable as it defeats all the good points of the
> > current source package system.
>
> Yet our current source package system needs work. It doesn't give much
> of a clue what's needed to compile the source, for instance. Nor does it
> integrate well with our package management tools (not even Apt will
> bring down source and compile it).
>
> I think we should fix these problems and live with the current mishmash
> until then.

While I agree that we could use better source management tools, I don't
think the way to resolve that need is by using the binary package
management tools.

As to source dependency problems, it is my understanding that all the
packages in the main distribution can be built using only packages from
main. Given that that doesn't tell you which packages those are, and that
a "standard" installation is supposed to give you "all the normal stuff"
it should be sufficient to name non-standard dependencies in the source
README file. There is no current declared method for this, and that makes
implimentation difficult, specially when most developers have what they
need for their packages and don't typically think about the problem any
further than that.

Luck,

Dwarf