Re: Intent to package pine-src

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> As to source dependency problems, it is my understanding that all the
> packages in the main distribution can be built using only packages from
> main.

That's a lot of packages.  I've used .deb packages which include source on
little dinky machines with only a couple hundred meg of hard drive.

> Given that that doesn't tell you which packages those are, and that
> a "standard" installation is supposed to give you "all the normal stuff"
> it should be sufficient to name non-standard dependencies in the source
> README file.

This is supposed to be an improvement over putting the source in a
.deb file?  [Which, I remind you, can be taken apart using standard
unix tools, and which can also be supported through a README file.]

> There is no current declared method for this, and that makes
> implimentation difficult, specially when most developers have what
> they need for their packages and don't typically think about the
> problem any further than that.

Please don't blame the developers for not using a system which hasn't
been designed or implemented.  That sort of thing is unecessarily
dogmatic.

--
Raul