Re: The latest XFree86 (3.3.2-4)

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 10:17:27PM +0200, Alexander Shumakovitch wrote:
> I'm not sure whether I want to spare my bandwidth, but I've installed 3.3.2-4
> version (just because dselect wanted to do this and I was too lazy to
> contradict). And now all my xterms have a totally black background. Is it to
> warn about the security problem or just that security problem itself? :-)
> Anyway, I was unable to find out how to return my standard (light gray?)
> background back. /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm is identical to the
> previous one. If it's a bug, just consider this message as a bug-report, but
> if it's a feature, I would appreciate very much knowing how to get rid of it.

Well, firstly, you should not mess with /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm.
/usr/doc/X11/README.Debian says as much.  What is just as effective is
editing /etc/X11/Xresources.  There you will see that I changed the default
foreground and background colors so that programs using ANSI color will
look like they do at the virtual console.  You may change the defaults herre.

The changelog documents this, though I'll understand if your eyes sort of
glazed over when reading the it.  :)

> I also had the following problems with installation:
> 1) xserver-svga post-install script produced some strange error (sorry, I
> didn't pay attention to this at that time and ignored it), and I've lost my
> /etc/X11/Xserver file. It was easy to reconstruct it from Xserver.dpkg-new,
> though.

Yeah, this was a dumb bug in xserver-postinst, and a fix is in place for
-5.

> 2) xauth produced an error on startup the following error:
> > xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "blackshark." in "add" command
> (blackshark is a host name). But this one was easy to fix also (just to change
> the corresponding line in startx script).

Ditto.  This time the dumb bug was in programs/xinit/startx.cpp.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  It was a typical net.exercise -- a
Purdue University                   |  screaming mob pounding on a greasy spot