Re: The latest XFree86 (3.3.2-4)

Thanks a lot for a very prompt answer!

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 04:39:33PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Well, firstly, you should not mess with /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm.
> /usr/doc/X11/README.Debian says as much.  What is just as effective is
> editing /etc/X11/Xresources.  There you will see that I changed the default
> foreground and background colors so that programs using ANSI color will
> look like they do at the virtual console.  You may change the defaults herre.
I certainly didn't want to change anything in /usr, I was just looking for the
explanation. As you could guess from my initial question, I supposed this to
be a bug, not a feature, so I was totally sure it's related to xterm alone,
not to a complete distribution.

> The changelog documents this, though I'll understand if your eyes sort of
> glazed over when reading the it.  :)
You're right! Even knowing this, I had to use search to find an appropriate
string there.

By the way, would it make sense to include into postinst.sh a message (with
'Press "Enter" to continue', you know) which warns about any major changes in
behaviour and/or appearance of a program? Because to upgrade from 3.3.2-3 to
3.3.2-4 (not to 5.9.1), to restart the X session, and to find out that
everything which used to be white turned to black, was a little bit eh-h-h...
unexpected for me. I indeed spent some time searching for answer
(unsuccessfully) and even considered to downgrade to the previous release
("For in much wisdom is much grief...", you know). Just some thoughts...

  --- Shurik.