Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 05:10:54AM +0000, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 08:05:00PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > I've been giving serious thought for a while to forming a new Linux
> > distribution. My reason is to fulfill some goals that currently are
> > not addressed by Debian or the commercial distributions.

> Some packages like pine and qmail are worth the fact that to make them
> useful they must be in source packages.  We ALL (all of us who thought pine
> was an important package at all) agreed on that.  And you wouldn't get me
> away from qmail--so don't try.  =>
>
> The older version of ncftp is now GPL, but what of the new version?  Would
> you say there's no need to use that because it was not OpenSource?  Not
> everything is OpenSource and not everything needs to be, really.  When
> OpenSource versions of similar programs appear, that's fine.  But until they
> do, you'll be crippling yourself by not using what's there.  Some of them
> are quite free despite not being quite free enough.

I'm curious how this distribution is supposed to be more 'main
stream'.  Ok, easy to use, fair enough.. rpm... I guess, but what
else?  Baseing it strictly on open-source software?  I think the
'mainstream' if we are talking about numbers and averages, are the
people who go about distancing themselves from Stallman and talking
about how they really don't care whether software is really free or
not, as long as it works.

Hrm.. you really need to set up a different list.. this being Debian,
how could you not know that it would start a big long thread?:-)

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org