Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

From: Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com>
> (1) we probably don't want to talk about this in much depth on the
> debian lists, since you've explicitly stated that it's not debian.
> Please announce an alternative venue as soon as you can.

Right. It's not my intent to abuse the Debian lists. I'll try to get
a list server going through hams.com tomorrow.

> (2) I've never been able to keep up with all the various distributions
> (free or not) that keep popping up, but I guess I'll assume you're
> correct that none of them match the needs you see.

About the only other viable volunteer distribution is Stampede, a
Slackware derivative. They and Patrick are OK folks, but I don't
buy into their technical direction.

> (3) This could be a very positive thing for debian (call it cross
> fertilization, competition, or just more attention on the underlying
> problem). Or, if people get all upset about it, it could be negative.

I'll try not to get people upset. As far as I can tell, my stated direction
is different enough from Debian that they would not really compete.

> (4) Debian was founded with a "we will develop no software" statement.
> Obviously, we've relaxed this (dpkg, apt, ...). It looks like this
> new project you're proposing will embrace development, which is not
> necessarily a bad thing, but you're going to need a "Linus" to lead and
> coordinate it.

I'm not Linus, but I'll try.

	Thanks

	Bruce