Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 08:05:00PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
> I've been giving serious thought for a while to forming a new Linux
> distribution. My reason is to fulfill some goals that currently are
> not addressed by Debian or the commercial distributions.

Certainly no distribution can meet the needs of everybody.  Debian seems to
be the best distribution on technical merit, but it seems to be missing some
things from the easy-to-use standpoint.

I was thinking about building an unofficial set of installation scripts and
the like for Debian to make it easier on a new user but still show some of
the power in Linux in general..  My plan was to make a console-only thing
that could really install to a < 100 meg partition (I'm aiming high and
trying to get it in 40 or less) and have it be compatible with Debian enough
that you could later show dpkg the main Debian mirrors and have it act like
it was a normal installation, if perhaps a little nonstandard as to what was
installed and what wasn't, and it should be able to integrate itself with no
fuss.

Thought even that some of the Debian maintainers might be interested in some
of the resulting scripts if they were very useful at all.

> I've posted my first message on this topic to debian-devel, as I think
> a lot of you have similar goals to the ones below, and those who do have
> earned the right to be in on the project from the start. I don't currently
> have a mailing list for this project - I guess I'll have to start one.

I'm not a programmer.  I just know what's easy to work with and what's not.
I can build a package but am currently doing much of it by hand since I
don't yet understand the workings of debhelper.  I'll RTFM later and maybe
learn how to use it.  =>

You want rpm though.  =p  I personally think rpm is nasty when you consider
that a friend of mine (a newbie) tried to install bitchx today and found
that she didn't have libcurses.so.4.  Yeah, that she didn't have the FILE.
No clues where to get it.  No hint as to the package.  For libcurses that's
a no brainer, but what about some of the less known libs?  dpkg would have
told her what package and what version she needed.  Using apt she could
quite easily just run apt-get install <package> and it would.

Some packages like pine and qmail are worth the fact that to make them
useful they must be in source packages.  We ALL (all of us who thought pine
was an important package at all) agreed on that.  And you wouldn't get me
away from qmail--so don't try.  =>

The older version of ncftp is now GPL, but what of the new version?  Would
you say there's no need to use that because it was not OpenSource?  Not
everything is OpenSource and not everything needs to be, really.  When
OpenSource versions of similar programs appear, that's fine.  But until they
do, you'll be crippling yourself by not using what's there.  Some of them
are quite free despite not being quite free enough.

With the exception of rpm in place of dpkg, there is very little you want to
do with this planned dist that Debian doesn't already in terms of techincal
forms..  Debian is not the most user-friendly dist, but that could chanage
with a few custom scripts and possibly a few rebuilt packages using
different conffiles.