Re: on forming a new Linux Distribution

Bruce Perens <bruce@pixar.com> wrote:
> I've been giving serious thought for a while to forming a new Linux
> distribution. My reason is to fulfill some goals that currently are
> not addressed by Debian or the commercial distributions.
>
> I've posted my first message on this topic to debian-devel, as I think
> a lot of you have similar goals to the ones below, and those who do
> have earned the right to be in on the project from the start. I don't
> currently have a mailing list for this project - I guess I'll have to
> start one.

Hmm... you seem to be inviting comments, so I'll give it a go:

(1) we probably don't want to talk about this in much depth on the
debian lists, since you've explicitly stated that it's not debian.
Please announce an alternative venue as soon as you can.

(2) I've never been able to keep up with all the various distributions
(free or not) that keep popping up, but I guess I'll assume you're
correct that none of them match the needs you see.

(3) This could be a very positive thing for debian (call it cross
fertilization, competition, or just more attention on the underlying
problem). Or, if people get all upset about it, it could be negative.

(4) Debian was founded with a "we will develop no software" statement.
Obviously, we've relaxed this (dpkg, apt, ...). It looks like this
new project you're proposing will embrace development, which is not
necessarily a bad thing, but you're going to need a "Linus" to lead and
coordinate it.

--
Raul