Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

Hi,

Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
>> Hmm. I do think this leads to a dilution of technical
>> discipline. And we already have way too many open bug reports;
>> people do not seem to want to fix ``real'' bugs, and ``mere''
>> policy reports would be seen as fluff.

Raul> Anyways, before you go trying to fix the "too many outstanding
Raul> bug reports" problem, don't you think you should do some work on
Raul> finding out why the situation exists? [This is the first time
Raul> I've heard that "it's because policy isn't enforced strongly
Raul> enough", so I think that's
bogus.>

	As a point of clarification: I dod not say I am going to go
 about fixing the huge number of bugs problem; I just keep reports on
 my packages down, sorry, that is all I have time for at the moment.

	Secondly, I did not suggest that lack of adherence to policy
 is the reason for too many open reports; you did. I too find that
 statement suspect.

	I ofer no reason for the number of bugs open; I merely note
 that there are.

	My contention is that by making the requirement to adhere to
 policy nebulous, and handing policy to trigger happy bug filers,
 without specifying any means of enforcing policy or even requiring
 that policy be enforced shall further engorge our bug database. I am
 talking of future practices, not current ones.

	manoj
--
 The time is right to make new friends.