Re: Conflicts between developers and policy

Hi,
>>"Jules" == Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

Jules> I'm not a debian developer, merely an interested lurker (I will
Jules> almost certainly become a developer sometime).  Apologies if
Jules> you think I'm speaking out of turn.

Jules> --On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 2:47 pm -0500 "Manoj Srivastava"
>> srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:

Jules> No contention at all.  Developers are not required to follow
Jules> policy.  But, reports are filed for policy deviations, thus
Jules> putting pressure on to adapt either policy or the developer ;)
Jules> as necessary.  The reports will remain until someone closes
Jules> them - so they are a reminder of all extant violations (rather,
Jules> all extant violations that bother people).

	Hmm. I do think this leads to a dilution of technical
 discipline. And we already have way too many open bug reports; people
 do not seem to want to fix ``real'' bugs, and ``mere'' policy reports
 would be seen as fluff.

	I guess I am leaning mre towards a codification of laws (like
 hammurabi [I am unsure of the english spelling of his name]), while
 the opposition is opting for the chinese predeliction of trusting
 humans rather than laws; and trusting on the selection process to
 ensure that the people chosen shall be more adaptive and can adjust
 to cases on merit; historically, that has been subject to abuse; and
 even bodies of good men (soryy, ladies) have been know to decay; a
 codified system of rules is more stable against the ravages of time.

	manoj
--
 What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the
 stick.