Re: License advice

> On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 11:36:00AM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
>
> However, it is not as obvious as you want to make us believe. Things that
> are not explicitely allowed are forbidden. Things that are not spelled out,
> are not there at all. There is only little room for interpretation of legal
> texts.

You're assuming that this rule applies everywhere and in every
situation.  In the US the assumption often goes the other way;
anything not explicitly forbidden is permitted (up to the limits
of lawful action, of course :-).  There's even an extra-legal
phrase to describe this attitude: "it's better to beg forgiveness
than ask permission."

Needless to say, the license should be unambiguous since two
reasonable interpretations exist.  Since we don't have that,
where does the author live?  What is the legal convention there?
Is it "everything not allowed is forbidden" or "everything not
forbidden is allowed?"

Bear Giles
bear@coyotesong.com