Re: why not mingetty??

On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 05:39:51PM -0400, Shaleh wrote:
> Why is our default not mingetty.  Several other dists use this.  For
> almost all Linux boxen this is the right choice.  It is easier on mem
> and cpu than agetty.  Anyone who needs the other gettys also knows how
> to change their getty.  I have been running mingetty for a year now and
> have had no problems.  Would someone care to state a good reason why we
> should not use mingetty.  Or why we must use agetty.

This seems reasonable. I am running it on all my boxes here without problem.

I did the 0.9.4-3.1 NMU libc6 compile, but I didn't check at the time
if it were still the latest version -- it may not be.

Also, lintian has two errors with it (manpage not compressed, old-fsf-address)
but there are no bugs filed. It doesn't include the debian changelog
in /usr/doc/mingetty, either (lintian doesn't seem to notice?). I may do
another upload to fix these.

Hamish