Re: why not mingetty??

> On Fri, Apr 24, 1998 at 05:39:51PM -0400, Shaleh wrote:
> > Why is our default not mingetty.  Several other dists use this.  For
> > almost all Linux boxen this is the right choice.  It is easier on mem
> > and cpu than agetty.

Can this be quantified, please?

Changing the default will disrupt the integrity of everyone who is
relying on it. [Not me, personally, I'm using mgetty where it matters.]

Aside: I'm surprised that /sbin/getty isn't managed using
update-alternatives.  I presume that this means that the different
getties aren't very interoperable?

I realize that at present, just installing mingetty doesn't free up
the space taken up by agetty in the util-linux package. Perhaps agetty
should be factored out into its own package? [Of course, this is a slink
issue, rather than a hamm issue.]

--
Raul