Re: less: extra entries for lesspipe

Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:

> >	I am bemoaning the fact that lesspipe is not directly usable
> > by me anymore, since all the stuff got added to it.
>
> I'm open to suggestions on how to change it so that everybody is
> happy...
>
> What about an environment variable about what items to use/not-use.  I
> think a config file would have too much overhead.

Why?  It is trivial to write a script for lessopen, and each user can have
their own via their .profile.  Users who want to find out how to make
lesspipe do more can find resources to write their own at the same place
where they WOULD have found the documentation on the environment vars.

I use lesspipe for things such as .deb files, compressed manpages, etc.

But I agree with manoj that a good compromise for the distribution would
to have the default (/usr/bin) lessppe do very little.

I think that the only universally-agreed-upon behavior for lesspipe is
to run gzip -dc on a compresed file so that you can see the contents.
This could then be the limit to the default lesspipe functionality.

Carl

--
mummert@cs.wcu.edu-----------

The sun's not eternal