Re: less: extra entries for lesspipe

Hi,

Carl> Joey Hess wrote:

>> > I would also find it disorienting to less a binary executable and
>> get a long list of identifiers.  I _expect_ a screen full of
>> garbage, and that "/lib/ld-linux.so.2" in a particular position :-)

Carl> What would be the use of looking at a screen full of control
Carl> characters? I can see prepending the output of strings with
Carl> other useful stuff, though;

	Just because you do not see a need does not mean that there is
 no use for that feature. If you want to run strings on a binary, you
 know how to do so. From the principle of least surprise, I say leave
 the default alone (I hate how it does tar zvvft already; I used to be
 able to look at text files in a tar.gz archive without running
 through hoops. But no, the default could not be left well enough
 alone).

	manoj
 who is tired of progras who think they are more intelligent than the humans
--
 Percentage of Redbook readers who say they would rather have their
 genitals permanently numbed than go deaf: 70 Harper's Index