Re: Realtionship between user accounts and man pages

"Noe' Franco" <nfranco@farsweb.com> writes:

> While installing a database, Postgresql-6.3, I somehow diconnected the man
> pages from root's account. Now mind you all the other accounts have access
> to man pages.
>  Yes, I know that the install should be done under its own account and it
> was mostly.
>  So what can be done to reattach the man pages to the account of 'root'.
> And is there any difference between that and reattaching to a regular user
> account.

My guess is that root's ~/.profile (or other user-specific shell
startup file) contains
`MANPATH="/usr/lib/postgresql-6.3/man:$MANPATH"'.  If MANPATH was
previously unset, then this will break.  Some other man programs
interpret trailing colon (and leading colon and `::' in the middle) as
if the system default manpath (as taken from /etc/manpath.config) were
present.  Debian's standard man program does not.

If this is correct, then the solution is either to fix the man program,
or to set MANPATH in your /etc/environment (or wherever your environment
variables are usually initialised).

HTH,

pjm.