Re: Realtionship between user accounts and man pages

On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 04:12:56PM +1000, Peter Moulder wrote:

> My guess is that root's ~/.profile (or other user-specific shell
> startup file) contains
> `MANPATH="/usr/lib/postgresql-6.3/man:$MANPATH"'.  If MANPATH was
>
> If this is correct, then the solution is either to fix the man program,
> or to set MANPATH in your /etc/environment (or wherever your environment
> variables are usually initialised).

Having manpages installed into strange locations (like /usr/lib/postgreql)
the correct solution is to add that location to /etc/manpath.config
adding lines like (assuming the binaries are in that strange place!):
MANPATH_MAP     /usr/lib/postgresql/bin         /usr/lib/postgresql/man
MANDB_MAP       /usr/lib/postgresql/man         /var/catman/postgresql

leaving out _at_all_ any env ariable like MANPATH.
(this works even if the top dir is not named "man")

This solution makes use of the cache of preformatted pages.
Recent versions of man-db (>60) take care of creating the directories.

fab