Re: HAMM FREEZE (removed packages)

> > >     nvi!  IIRC, that's our standard `vi' editor!
> > Is the nvi-Maintainer still around and packaging? Otherwise I'd like
> > to take nvi over and do a upload ASAP.
> > nvi is too precious to loose.

I thought "elvis" was the standard one (which was why I put it on the
required list when asked).  <sigh>  There's too many "vi" packages.
Everybody should use emacs!  <grin>

I'll put "nvi" on the required list, too.

> Yes, I'm still around. I was out of town last week, and when I left,
> there were no "important" bugs filed against nvi. I just found this
> this morning when I was catching up on mail. The "important" bug
> bug is a lintian thing about the internal md5sum file including
> files that aren't in the the actual package (because the md5sum
> in debmake was done before the man-pages were done).
>
> 1: Why is this "important"? It doesn't fit any definition of important
> that I've seen -- the package installs and works correctly.

It's important because it is extremely easy to fix.

> 2: Why was this bug filed 5 days before the freeze? Some of us cannot
> read/respond to e-mail on a demand basis. I travel for my job. Sometimes
> I'm going to disappear for a few weeks at a time. When I left, nvi
> was fine.

The bug was posted publicly about 4 weeks ago or such.  It's a shame that
the actual bugs were not filed until so late, but the information was sent
to everyone.

> I'm going to downgrade the bug to normal, and ask that the
> package be put back into frozen. But not right now. Probably tomorrow
> night.

Please just upload a version with the md5sums fixed.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )