Re: HAMM FREEZE (removed packages)

On Sun, Mar 15, 1998 at 12:12:42PM -0500, Brian White wrote:
> I've removed the following packages from Hamm because they still have
> critical, grave, or important bugs registered against them.  To get them
> back in the archive, simply upload a version to "frozen" that fixes _all_
> of the open critical, grave, and important bugs registered against that
> package.

	Weren't you going to remove them the 16th?  Many of the bugs
will get fixed in a few hours.

> ascii			journal			quota

	I think quota is "too important to be removed".  And its only
important bug is not so important...

> bitchx-lib		ksmbfs			rocks-n-diamonds

	`ksmbfs' doesn't have any release-critical bug (according to the
www pages).

> elvis			libtclobjc1		tkdesk

	Why is emacs "too important to be removed", but elvis isn't?

> gcl-doc			nvi			wzip

	nvi!  IIRC, that's our standard `vi' editor!

> The source for these packages should be available under project/orphaned
> on the ftp site.  A new upload should automatically remove the package
> from the orphaned directory.

	Have you also removed those packages from other architectures?
I hope not!  At least, please DON'T remove anything from `sparc'.
Maybe we won't be able to have Debian 2.0 for Sparc, but we have a
very few things working and I wouldn't like to have to recompile them.

> The following packages also have release-necessary bugs against them but
> are too important to be removed.  The final release of Hamm will be delayed
> if these packages still have critical, grave, or important bugs open.
>
> ae		emacs20-el	menu		tetex-src

	Why is `tetex-src' too important?  Its priority is extra.

> at		emacsen-common	passwd		wu-ftpd
> bash		fvwm-common	perl-base	xbase

	Why is fvwm-common too important?

> bind		gettyps		ppp-pam		xcontrib

	gettyps?  It's non-free/optiona.  Why do you think it's too
important?

> boot-floppies	ldso		sysklogd	xlib6g
> dpkg		libc6-dev	tetex-base	xserver-*
> dump		libpaperg	tetex-dev
> e2fsprogs	libreadlineg2	tetex-doc
> emacs-el	login		tetex-extra

	I think emacs-el is not so important either.

--
Juan Cespedes