Re: HAMM FREEZE (removed packages)

On 18-Mar-98, 13:14 (CST), Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> wrote:
> I thought "elvis" was the standard one (which was why I put it on the
> required list when asked).  <sigh>  There's too many "vi" packages.
> Everybody should use emacs!  <grin>

Yeah! I use emacs to maintain nvi :-). (Ok, I'm a vi user, too: every
job has an appropriate tool...)

> I'll put "nvi" on the required list, too.

I think the conclusion that nvi is the "standard" is driven by the
fact that nvi's Priority is important, all the other vi's are Priority
standard (is that confusing enough?).

> It's important because it is extremely easy to fix.

Huh? The definition of important is "any other bug which makes the
package unsuitable for release". While that is certainly subject to
debate (and the md5sum thing might make the cut), "easy to fix" is
certainly not a criterion. A typo in the control file is easy to fix
too; I don't think I'd tag it as important.

And by the way, it wasn't just a matter of a new debstd (I was current
on that). It had to do with debstd's mis-handling of linked man pages
(nvi.1, nview.1, and nex.1 are all the same), my original "fix" for
that (which screwed up the md5sums), and a new (correct) fix. I'm
not claiming that it was particularly hard, but it wasn't a total
no-brainer.

> > 2: Why was this bug filed 5 days before the freeze? Some of us cannot
> > read/respond to e-mail on a demand basis. I travel for my job. Sometimes
> > I'm going to disappear for a few weeks at a time. When I left, nvi
> > was fine.
>
> The bug was posted publicly about 4 weeks ago or such.  It's a shame that
> the actual bugs were not filed until so late, but the information was sent
> to everyone.

Yep, you're right and I'm wrong. (I went back and looked). I just didn't
pick up on the clearly written "release critical" part of the message,
and figured I'd fix those problems the next time I fixed "real" bugs.
All I can do is say that it never occurred to me that a violation of
a never approved policy would cause a package to be pulled.

> Please just upload a version with the md5sums fixed.

In progress.

Anyway, sorry for the little snit fit...

Steve