Re: Qmail on lists.debian.org is costing me real money

rdm@test.legislate.com (Raul Miller)  wrote on 17.03.98 in <[🔎] 19980317074909.61039@hazel>:

> Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> wrote:
> > Multiple MAIL FROM per message? Is this the SMTP variant of the COME FROM
> > statemnent?
>
> No.  By using a different MAIL FROM: line for each delivery, bounces
> can be identified no matter how the remote system mutilates the message.

Ah yes, that thing.

DJB is far too fond of abusing the standards, IMO.

> MAIL FROM: is a part of the smtp standard, rfc 823 if I recall correctly.

821 of course.

> I should also point out that on www.qmail.org is a mechanism to
> delete multiple messages when they have the same message body (only
> the first goes through).  If Ian wishes to reduce deliveries to
> his machine, perhaps he should investigate this mechanism.  [For
> example, set up a virtual domain on master for his machine, and
> a local mechanism there which queues messages and, for the case
> of multiple deliveries, adds the envelop recipients of the
> messages with duplicate bodies to the list for the first message.
> After some period, the message could be sent on its way to
> chiark using whatever mailer he prefers.]

So, first qmail breaks the standards, and then we create an ugly hack to
make the result standard again?

Does this strike anyone beside myself as ridiculous and obscene?

MfG Kai