Re: Qmail on lists.debian.org is costing me real money

Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> wrote:
> Multiple MAIL FROM per message? Is this the SMTP variant of the COME FROM
> statemnent?

No.  By using a different MAIL FROM: line for each delivery, bounces
can be identified no matter how the remote system mutilates the message.

MAIL FROM: is a part of the smtp standard, rfc 823 if I recall correctly.

And, of course, this doesn't do anything about non-bounce messages
(for example, when an mta can't deliver the message, so it generates
a new message to some random address from the mail headers).

> DJB has made convincing arguments? That's a good one.
>
> Oh, once in a while even he'll say something that's correct. But
> convincing?

These sorts of statements are pointless.

I should also point out that on www.qmail.org is a mechanism to
delete multiple messages when they have the same message body (only
the first goes through).  If Ian wishes to reduce deliveries to
his machine, perhaps he should investigate this mechanism.  [For
example, set up a virtual domain on master for his machine, and
a local mechanism there which queues messages and, for the case
of multiple deliveries, adds the envelop recipients of the
messages with duplicate bodies to the list for the first message.
After some period, the message could be sent on its way to
chiark using whatever mailer he prefers.]

This isn't as easy, mechanically, as a local exploder, but it
offers more control over subscriptions from chiark.

--
Raul