Re: install-mime

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Shaleh wrote:

> >but at the very least I'd like to see install-mime go away.
> >It makes the install/upgrade process unnecessarily painful.  (You have
> >to carefully read the screen, think, then choose a number about 10
> >times during the install.)  IMHO, this makes installation
> >difficult/confusing for the new user.  (And for me.)
> >
> >My best idea for a replacement is to have install-mime manipulate a
> >database, and have a gtk or newt application that the user can run
> >afterwards to order the applications. (Install them in last place by
> >default, or have a suitability index to help with the default ordering >-
> >i.e. xv is more suitable for still images than xanim, etc.)
> >
> >It would be nice if the ordering was stored in a different place than
> >the application/mime-type database, so an upgrade doesn't move
> >anything around.
>
> On the install-mime issue I have to agree.  I tend to just hit enter.  I
> have never had a program open something do to a mime-type anyway.  Most
> of the people I have asked say they just peck the enter key and go on.

On the install-mime front, how about a method comparable to the existing
update-alternatives, where each program registeres a mime type with a
default priority value.  The user can later update these priorities (i.e
with the proposed gtk app or whatever).  All the editor maintainers got
together and agreed on priorities for the editors.  I'm sure similar agreement
could be reached on priorities from the mime capable apps maintainers.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org