Re: laggy lintian

On 11 Mar 1998, James Troup wrote:

[snip]
> | To: debian-devel-changes@lists.debian.org
> | Subject: Uploaded gdbm 1.7.3-23 (source m68k i386 powerpc sparc) to master
> | From: James Troup <jjtroup@comp.brad.ac.uk>
> | Date: 24 Feb 1998 12:03:28 +0000
>
> And the bugs in the package before that were not my fault (that was my
> first upload as the maintainer).  Blame the gratuitous filing of
> already-fixed bugs on ftp.de.debian.org or whatever else excuse you
> want but please don't abuse me for bugs that a) weren't my fault and
> b) I fixed in as timely a fashion as I could.  Oh, and Lintian didn't
> ``discover'' them either, believe it or not people did notice bugs
> B.L. (before Lintian).

Why are you thinking I'm `blaming' you for bugs??? Please, let us leave
any emotions out here.

Lintian is a technical tool which checks for common mistakes in packages.
Lintian itself can also have bugs and I'm doing the best I can to fix bugs
ASAP.

Since we are close to a code freeze, we decided (there was a consensus on
debian-devel) to report the more `important' bugs that Lintian discovered
to the bug tracking system. (Note, that we've also decided to not report
Lintian messages in general to the bug tracking system to avoid the
overhead of the bug handling. However, it's expected that the developers
run Lintian over their packages before uploading them, or check the
Lintian reports on my home page regularly.)

Now, if a few packages got fixed inbetween the time my mirror was updated
and the bug report received in the mailbox of the maintainer, we are
lucky, because we got rid of a few `important' bugs so soon!

I can't say this often enough: The intention to write Lintian was not to
annoy someone! The intention was:

    1. To give us some impression of the `gap' between theory (written
       policy) and praxis (current state of implementation).

    2. To make us re-think about certain aspects of our policy.

    3. To show us where to concentrate our efforts in order give Debian a
       higher quality.

    4. To make us avoid doing the same mistakes all over again.

(This list is copied from the Lintian User's Manual which is available on
Lintian's home page or in the lintian package. The manual contains more
details on these ideas.)

>From the feedback I received since I announced Lintian the first time, I'm
sure we already achieved these goals. For example, a lot of common errors
have been fixed in our packages and we also discovered some cases where
the current policy manuals are inaccurate.

In summary, please don't take these bug reports to seriously--just handle
them as any other bug report. If the problems are already fixed, just
close the bug report.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/