Re: why ddd-?motif are gone from archive?

James Troup wrote
> Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > I think the point is more that the maintainer should preferably be
> > somebody that can actually create the *-dmotif packages. This is
> > catering for users which have the libraries, not supporting or
> > otherwise encouraging the use of commercial libraries. While I agree
> > it is better to have a lesstif dependent package than none at all,
> > we should aim at having motif packages maintained by people who
> > actually have the commercial libraries and can generate the *-dmotif
> > and possibly *-smotif versions.
>
> I disagree very strongly, this is discrimination against people who
> are unwilling to purchase/usr commercial libraries.
>
> "You can't/shouldn't maintain xfoo because you only have lesstif; you
> must have a commercial library to maintain the free xfoo"
Oh wake up!

I never said can't but used *preferably*. And yes, you shouldn't if there
is someone else that will do it. Another matter is to have several people
maintain the same package providing lesstif/motif versions. As an example,
there was a problem with xmcd recently and memory leak with lesstif. The only
option was to run a statically linked version or the shared one if you had
motif.

> That strikes me as utterly absurd and contrary to what Debian is.
Well then your position is utterly fanatic and contrary to the Social Contract:

    4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software
       We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       community. We will place their interests first in our priorities.
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       We will support the needs of our users for operation in many
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       different kinds of computing environment. We won't object to
       commercial software that is intended to run on Debian systems, and
       we'll allow others to create value-added distributions containing
       both Debian and commercial software, without any fee from us. To
       support these goals, we will provide an integrated system of
       high-quality, 100% free software, with no legal restrictions that
       would prevent these kinds of use.

> --
> James
>

> --

Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk>
PGP Fingerprint = F8 B1 13 DE 22 22 94 A1  14 BE 95 8E 49 39 78 76